Friday, July 29

SONNTAG

Some of you may not know it, but Germany, in my opinion, has some silly rules.  I was aware of a few of them, but others I have only found out recently.  

A couple examples of rules ... 

During the week quiet hours begin at 10pm - country wide.  Quiet hours last until something like 7am.  This means no night flying for Todd (or at least in Germany).  To me it seems like it might be a hard law to enforce, but whatever.   Another rule is every day during the work week (I think) has quiet hours from something like 12p - 2p.  I think the purpose of this law is so kids don't get woken up during naptime.  I'm sure if I had a child I'd probably appreciate that law alot more than I currently do.  

Another big one is in Germany, Sonntag (Sunday) is a day of rest.  You shouldn't be doing any hard labor and shouldn't really be making any noise either (i.e., mowing the lawn).   This part we were aware of, but apparently there's more to it.   A couple of Sundays ago, in the evening before the sun had even began to set, Todd and I decided we needed to get ride of some glass bottles.  Molschbach has at least 2 separate spots that has large (taller than me) bins to thrown brown, clear, and green glass.   Once we got there we started throwing bottles in.  We had only gotten a few bottles in when a German woman who lives across the street from the bins walks around the corner of her house & stares at us.   Todd says "Hallo" & proceeded to get rid of more bottles.   Next thing we know she is yelling "SONNTAG" at us (and it doesn't sound very friendly!), more than once.   At first Todd nor I had a stinkin' clue what she was yelling "SONNTAG" at us for.  Todd finally figured it out, it seems as though we can't recycle on Sonntag.  We still don't know if its due to the noise or because no work on Sundays.   Either way we've been making fun of her yelling SONNTAG ever since!!!!  We now randomly yell it at each other!!

Side story:  A few days later Todd went back to recycle the rest of the bottles.  He decides to do this about 7:30/7:45pm.  He luckily finds a sign that tells you when you are allowed to recycle bottles .... No Later than 7pm.  Who knows what that woman would have yelled at him this time!!

2 comments:

  1. I bet the lady who yelled at y'all put it up there. SONNTAG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious!! So do Germans seem to be happier overall over there with no work on Sundays and quiet time?

    ReplyDelete