Sunday, August 28

RFQG

I recently found and joined the Rhineland Pfalz Quilt Guid (RFQG).  This pretty much was a result of my mom telling me to do so.  My mom is a member of the Quilt Guild in her area, so she thought it would be a good idea for me to join if possible.  Since I've joined I'm hoping that I don't have to call and harass my mom so much over the phone when I hit a problem during new projects.

Anyways, so I joined the Quilt Guild and at my first meeting (and only meeting to date) I decided to jump in and get my feet wet.  They do a couple of quilting service projects throughout the year - 2 of them being Baby Love and Quilts of Valor.   Baby Love is making baby quilts for babies that have been admitted into the NICU at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC).  Quilts of Valor is making quilts for wounded soldiers who have also been admitted to LRMC.   I volunteered to do a Baby Love Quilt.  The good thing is that all the fabric is provided and pre-cut.  All I had to do was piece the fabric together and quilt it.  The pattern I did was a tumbler pattern.  I don't think I'll ever do this again.  Most of its my fault for not reading the directions all the way through before I started piecing.  Don't get me wrong its still turned out great, but I think I made it take way longer than necessary.  The other thing I didn't like about this pattern is that I felt like there were about a million tumblers that had to be sewn altogether.  Holy crap!  It felt like took FOREVER!   I guess I really shouldn't be complaining since I didn't have to do any of the cutting or buy the fabric.  And besides, it really is for a very good cause.  So here's the final project (minus the label I still haven't stitched on yet).





1 comment: