Tuesday, March 8

The Ponies

A couple of weeks ago we ventured down to Hot Springs, Arkansas for a day at the horse races.   There is a track there that is open from January to April called Oaklawn.   Let me just say that we all (we went with some friends) had a fabulous time!   I'm not sure about everyone, but I think this was the majority's first time at a horse race.  There were 10 races total, Todd and I bet on every single one of them.  After all what's the point of going to the ponies if you aren't going to bet!   We sometimes lost and sometimes won, I think our biggest cash out was around $23.   It may not sound like a lot, but it sure was exciting to us!   Our bets ranged from picking horses to win (finish 1st), place (finish 1st or 2nd), show (finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd), and the trifecta (finish 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in exact order).   Some of my favorite horse names of the day included, but not limited to ... Combuckstable, Cast A Cold Eye, Sahm Like It Hot, Jumponthebandwagon,  Posse Cat, Billy Two Hats (which won for us), and Absinthe Minded.   I don't know really very much about horses, but that they get cool names ... at least at the track.

After the track we went to a place that Bill Clinton would always eat at when visiting Hot Springs, apparently he loved their BBQ.  The place is called McClard's.   I'd say President Bill was right about this place, it was delicious with HUGE amounts of food!!

Here's some pictures from our day at the track.  Unfortunately I didn't get any of us as a group, but Becky did, so maybe I can get a couple of her pictures to post later.

Showing off the ponies before the first race.

Around the track they go!
On the straightaway heading towards the finish line

Ann Marie anxiously waiting
The trumpet guy playing A Call To Post.  He does this before every race.
And they're off !!!!!


It's a close one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment