Wednesday, June 30

My First 5K








Just this past Saturday I ran my first 5K. It was the Cheyenne Super Days 5K/10K. This is not the first 5K I've participated in, but it is the first one I've ran the whole 3.2 miles. My time was 30:57. I have no idea if that is even close to being a decent time and I don't really care either. It just so happens that I ran it with two of my friends, TJ and Sue. Let me correct that last statement, I ran with Sue only since TJ was so far ahead of us. I have to admit that I am quite proud of myself. I realize its only 3.2 miles, but you've got to start somewhere and it just so happens my somewhere is 3.2. To get ready for this thing I've been running anywhere from just over 3 miles to just over 4 miles every other day all around Cheyenne. So far the training has been going pretty good with the exception of today. Its my day to run and quite frankly its just to dang hot to run!!!! Its 6pm and its still 82 outside!!! Since its so hot I've decided that I'm skipping my run tonight and rescheduling for tomorrow morning when its only 70 something degrees outside. In regards to my complaining about the temperature you might say well where I'm at its 90 degrees at 6pm. My response is that sucks even more! But you have to remember I've kind of become spoiled in the summer months while living out here in the west. We do get warmer temperatures, but we only see 90+ degrees maybe one week in the whole summer. By the time the 9pm rolls around you generally need to have a jacket with you to keep you warm from the wind that never stops. I am no longer used to the hot & humid southern heat. I'd much rather have my less hot, dry heat in Cheyenne. If the temperature wasn't enough reason not to run, I do have another reason. It happens to be my friend Liz's birthday & I'm going out to dinner to celebrate. Happy Birthday Liz!!!

As some background information I thought I'd say a bit about why I started running. The main reason is because Todd is Crazy!! He has the crazy idea of wanting to run a marathon once in his life. Now is as good as time as any since we aren't getting any younger! I've told him that I can't commit to a marathon, but I will commit to a half marathon. All this running that I'm doing now is just pre-training. Our plan for now is to start our real training at the beginning of October, run the half marathon in Memphis in December, and run the Mardi Gras Marathon in February. Depending on how the half goes in Memphis I may or may not continue to run. Ideally I would like to do the Mardi Gras half marathon while Todd is doing the full. Well, see how things go .....

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, and that you're running! Runners have such a great community, and its so much fun to do races! Training, on the other hand...

    Let me know when you'll be in Memphis! I wanna come cheer you on! Good luck! Jess

    ReplyDelete